Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2018

[KCON18NY] Day-0: Klub KCON

Klub KCON is an add-on to your convention ticket. It is a "club" for all ages (those under 13 need a parent to accompany them) from 5PM to 9PM with a DJ playing Kpop. In previous years there would be a surprise guest from the artist lineup that would appear for about 15 minutes for either a quick Q&A or point choreography lesson. I had researched previous Klub events and found that the artist was usually from the Day 1 lineup and a rookie boy group, however I still had my hopes up that Golden Child could be a guest. Sometimes it would be a surprise who the guest is until they show up at Klub, while other times KCON would announce the guest a week beforehand. This time, on June 8th at 11:40 EDT KCON announced Pentagon as the special guest AND that another special guest will be revealed soon. On June 13th at 9PM EDT KCON announced Stray Kids is the other guest and will hold a surprise performance. At one of the KCON Facebook live chats, they had also announced that Alex Reid would be a special guest as well, however they never really advertised this nor put it on the official Klub poster.
I am most certainly not a dancer nor do I like such social events, so I was trying to minimize the time I'd be in the Klub. Do note that many people started waiting in line for Klub right after early check-in so that they could get a good spot in seeing Pentagon and Stray Kids. I decided to go into Klub by 6PM, so an hour into the event which would give attendees plenty of time to get settled in. The Klub is held at Barnabas Health Hockey House, which is part of Prudential Center and is where all artist engagements (hi-touch and red carpet) are held. The worker out front scanned my bracelet and I was in.
Inside the lobby of the venue, there is a concession stand and little seating. Once inside the Klub, there is a high stage at the far end, and about half of the room was packed. On the far right is a much lower stage, and that is where the red carpet will be held. I took this photo at towards the back of the arena. The midway point is about where that camera is, and that camera is blocked off to form about a 6' by 6' square. Standing behind that gave a better view since no one would be directly blocking you. I ended up standing to the side and in front of it throughout the night, and at that area it was a good distance to see the stage well.
Right at 6:02PM, Alex Reid came on stage. I had perfect timing - I would've beaten myself up if I had missed a performance! She performed a song, gave an introduction (she is such a great entertainer!), and then performed another song. Next she gave an introduction to the next song she was going to perform, "Gretchen Wieners", which she would release the next day. This was her first time performing this song in public! Afterwards she commemorated her stage with a group selca. Her stage ended at 6:14PM. (Yes, even with my crappy photos I'm putting my watermark on there.)

There was an MC and DJ Sanchez on stage. The DJ played a lot of popular Kpop songs, though none from Woollim. When he played "Damdadi", I was the only one scream-singing along, but it was nice to have my moment. Many people were just standing around, waiting for the two main acts, and few were actually dancing. Many were dancing in place while singing along.
By 7PM the front half was a lot more crowded. At 7:08PM, the music stopped, and everyone pushed forward in great anticipation. Stray Kids came out and performed "District 9". An MC came out (Danny Lim from Buzzfeed?) and had the members do introductions. Each member introduced himself in English. The MC then asked the members how they felt being at KCON NY. Next the MC asked the audience to ask a question to the boys, so the MC asked what they are looking forward to eating since it's their first time in NY. One member said "we all know what Woojin wants to eat..." and Woojin said "I want to eat chicken." The Seungmin said "milky milkshake" and did the cutest dance to it! Next, the MC announced that Stray Kids prepared a special stage just for Klub KCON, which is a cute version of "Beware". Then Stray Kids took 2 group photos with the audience, then took a minute to drink some water and wave to fans. Lastly, they performed "Hellavator"! During the second verse, the members were waving to fans and 2 held onto selca sticks. To close, Stray Kids said their ending ment. Stray Kids' entire stage lasted just over 20 minutes.
Afterwards, DJ Ginjo came out on stage. His style of DJing is so different from the first guy's - the first guy was basically playing Kpop hits and you could easily identify the songs, whereas DJ Ginjo really manipulated the music and made it his own style.
At 8:30PM, Pentagon came to the stage! They first performed "Runaway". Next the members gave individual introductions in English. The MC then asked if Pentagon needs water, and they said yes, so the MC said "staff, can we get water? Pentagon is thirsty!" I really like the MC, he's so entertaining, knows how to take care of the artists, and knows how to get the crowd going. The MC then asked how Pentagon feels being in Klub KCON NY for the first time. One member said "this is our first time visiting New York...it's so wonderful to be here as Pentagon and we are so touched to see everyone here." Another member said "it is so spectacular to see everyone here." The MC then asked "out of all the members, who has never been to New York?". Majority, it not all of the members raised their hands. Then the MC asked the members who haven't been to NY where they would like to go. Members said Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Shake Shack, and one even said "I want to do (go to?) a concert in New York!" Then the MC asked the members to introduce their next song. One member said "the next song is...a song which makes everybody shine." The audience partook in the fanchant so well, I was so proud of Universe! Next the members performed a relay dance for "Shine".
Then Pentagon introduced their last song as "the final song is something related to this atmosphere today, something spectacular". I have never heard "Spectacular" before, but it was such a beautiful song and so cool to see it live! It was a softer pop song than the other 2 they performed, and the members were so friendly and waving at the audience. There were only 2 members on stage and I couldn't see where the others went off to...it turns out 1 member (Hongseok...?!) went down the right side where the red carpet is! That part is barricaded off but there were about 1 to 2 rows of fans lined up there. I could have easily ran up there to touch his hand but I was too scared...lastly Pentagon took 3 group photos with the audience, the last one being a sexy version. Then for the ending remarks a member was so humble and kept saying "thank you so much," then "see you tomorrow". Pentagon's entire stage was over 21 minutes long.

At 8:52PM, the MC called it a night and everyone left after Pentagon's stage. I didn't realize just how much my feet hurt at the end of today in sneakers, and had a feeling the weekend will be much more tiring.

For the past 6 weeks, I was most nervous about Day-0 for 2 reasons: 1) whether or not Golden Child would have an artist engagement and if I could get into their hi-touch, and 2) going to Klub KCON. I am the most anti-social wallflower and feel very uncomfortable at these types of events, however I wanted to fully experience KCON and push myself past my comfort zone. I am really beyond happy to have gone to Klub KCON because 1) it was totally acceptable to be just standing around on my phone, and 2) the guest appearances were so worth it! Stray Kids and Pentagon performing 3 songs each is incredible, and I was practically seeing a mini concert in an intimate setting. So far, my KCON experience has been off to an amazing start!

No comments:

Post a Comment