Pages

Monday, July 16, 2018

[KCON18NY] Day-2: Convention Part 1/3

Sunday June 24th, 2018 marks the day I meet Golden Child at KCON. I wore my jersey again, this time with my matching Nike belt. I decided to also wear wedges today for a better chance at seeing Golden Child at their Star Live Talk, Hi-Touch, and Red Carpet, though I knew my feet would pay for it. I was so nervous for what this day would hold!
I got to the convention grounds right when they opened at 10AM and headed to the KCON merchandise booth. There was already a long line and today was much hotter compared to Friday and Saturday - those days were overcast and refreshing, while today was very sunny and unforgiving. KCON sold their own merchandise such as tees, sweatshirts, and lanyards, as well as their artist merchandise like photocards (the image is from each artist's own promotion, not an exclusive KCON photoshoot), baseball jerseys (why must they sell baseball jerseys this year when I worked so hard creating mine...), and more. Majority of the artist merchandise was sold out, however there were still a lot of Golden Child and Fromis_9 goods left, as well as some Stray Kids items. They were also selling autographed Wanna One albums for $40.
I bought the fan letter kit for $8, Golden Child pin badge for $7, 2 Golden Child and 1 Stray Kids autograph & KCON decal sticker set for $8 each (for a friend! I only wanted the Golden Child merch, but now that I bought this Golden Child sticker set, I don't know what to do with it. The logo sticker isn't even their logo?!). Sadly the 3 sticker sets didn't survive the long day in my tote...(I'm sorry to my friend...). The badge is really cute and is actually Golden Child's logo, so I can display it with pride.
As for the fan letter kit, this is the official kit that you must buy if you want to write a fan letter to 1 of the artists, drop it off in their mailbox at Star Square, and have the possibility of having your fan letter read at the red carpet. Above is my completed fan letter, which I dedicated to Golden Child.
After I was done with the merchandise booth, my friend let me know that there was a special event at the MWave booth. If you take a picture at this booth and post it on Twitter or Instagram using their designated hashtags before noon, you will be entered for a chance to take a polaroid with Golden Child. There was no SNS announcement of this event, it's merely if you happen to be at the MWave booth and see their advertisement, then you're in luck.
I ran to the MWave booth and as I was friendless, had a staff member take my picture for me. There were various artists' autographs on the wall, but I honestly didn't care what the background was. I actually never post photos of myself on Twitter or Instagram, but this convention was my first for many things. I posted this picture on Twitter and somehow it blew up. I had to be back at this booth by 12PM for the winner announcement.
This year KCON also held fanclub meetings for all the artists. Whichever day that artist is performing, their fanclub meeting is held on that day. These events are organized and run by fans for fans or convention goers who are interested in learning more about the artist. The artist doesn't actually show up to these events. I went to Golden Child's Goldenness fan meeting, which began at 11AM. Everyone was given a name tag where we wrote down our bias's name. And here was me officially declaring that I'm both Bomin and Jibeom biased. As an ice breaker, everyone played Goldenness Bingo, and here I met another Goldenness who had made her own jersey! Hers was the black jersey first revealed on May 22nd at Golden Child's first fan meeting Golden Day. Next the 2 fanclub meeting moderators hosted trivia. The questions were all choosing between 2 options, then the last question was meant for the first person to raise their hand. The 2-part question was 1) what is Bomin's number and 2) what is the significance of that number. I am the most shy and reserved person and hate drawing attention to myself, but in that instant I had so much confidence being in my element, raised my hand first, and answered both correctly. I won a KCON tote bag and KCON lightstick. Next the moderators held a dance competition, and the girl in the black jersey outshined the others and won a Joochan photocard. I'm so happy we had the most dedication in our outfits and were able to showcase our love at the fanclub meeting. Then we practiced the "Damdadi" fanchant a few times. At the end, a moderator passed out the support project she had created - a banner and pin. 1 girl who is a US group order manager also had Dove Honey fans to pass out. That fansite master said that she wouldn't be at KCON but wanted the GO manager to pass them out. Above our my goods from the fanclub meeting.
Here is the backside of the Dove Honey fan. I'm so excited to have gotten a fansite good! I know other fansites were present but unfortunately I didn't run into any of them.
At 11:35PM the fanclub meeting ended, though attendees could stay to trade photocards and talk. I left the area and stumbled across 2 signs - 1 for the Golden Child hi-touch line and the other for the Golden Child audience line! This line is actually a temporary line - the official line right next to the entrance of BHHH where the artist engagements are held was still being used for Fromis_9's engagement at 12:30PM. I was in the front of this line and soon there were around 15 people lining up. At 11:55PM the group around me saved my spot (some where there just to hold a spot for their friend, not even to go for Golden Child's hi-touch), I headed back to the MWave booth. They announced 3 winners to take polaroids with Golden Child - 2 winners from Twitter and 1 from Instagram. It was not clear at all that they would choose separate winners from each SNS, and I was not a winner >.< Golden Child would be heading to Star Square at 1:30PM right after their Star Live Talk at 1PM, however hi-touch line usually enters the venue 30 minutes before which was at 1:30PM. Therefore I had to prioritize how close I wanted to be to the stage for the Star Live Talk, how close I wanted to be to the stage for hi-touch, and if I should even bother seeing Golden Child at Star Square. In the end, I decided it was best to be as close to the stage as possible for hi-touch, be in the back for the Star Live Talk, and opt out of going to Star Square.

I wasn't keeping tabs on time, but eventually a staff member came and moved the Golden Child hi-touch and audience lines to the official spots in front of BHHH. Oddly enough someone was already in line in hi-touch, but she was understanding and left after we explained to her that we had been waiting longer. I asked the people around me if they were okay if I stepped out for 25 minutes to see the Star Live Talk, and they were all understanding and let me go. The girl behind me also had her mom with her (who wasn't going to the hi-touch) and graciously offered to hold my spot in line. I also asked the staff member who was counting hi-touch attendees if it was okay if we stepped out but had someone not going to hi-touch to hold our place, and she was perfectly fine with it. I decided to step out of line at 12:50PM and to leave the Star Live Talk early at 1:23PM to be back in line.
A few minutes later I arrived at the KCON Stage where the Star Live Talk was being held. EXID held their Star Live Talk at 12:30PM and were already off the stage. There was a barricade about 10 feet from the stage, then many people waiting for Golden Child, and then me in the very back where it was roomy, I could still see all of the stage, and hopefully Golden Child could see me as well. It was really hot today where I'd drip sweat into my eyes - I definitely suggest bringing tissues to wipe your sweat! A few minutes before 1PM, the MC hyped up the crowd and talked about how she got into Kpop.
Right at 1PM Golden Child came on the stage from the right. My first time seeing them at an official event, and it was so beautiful! They were wearing new stage outfits - matching black button-downs, jeans, and Dr. Martens. The MC on the right spoke in English (and occasionally in Korean), and there was a translator sitting behind Daeyeol and Tag. Right away, Jangjun and Tag spoke so much English! I created a condensed transcript of the talk:

MC: Please sit down! Take a seat!
Jangjun: Whoa.
MC: Golden Child, do you want to intro yourselves?
Tag: Hello KCON, we are...
Golden Child: Golden Child!
Tag: So glad to meet you guys.
MC: Welcome to KCON. You guys look great!
JJ: Thank you so much.
MC: Is this your first time in New Jersey?
JJ: Yah. First time.
MC: Have you eaten anything good?
JJ: Eat? Some food? Uhh, chicken, and pizza, and steak.
MC: So you ate it all. Your fans are going crazy!
(Many fans had Golden Child fansite slogans and fans! The members clapped and gazed into the audience.)
MC: Question one! You received a lot of attention for your very film-like teaser and graduation theme album. Which concept do you prefer - baseball team or graduation class?
Translator for Tag: He liked the baseball concept better even though both were very fun to perform.
JJ: Yah, I think I am too.
Trans. for Y: He also thinks the baseball one was really fun but the graduation one gave them a new opportunity to show a new side of themselves.
MC: Can you share any difficulties you had while working on your album?
Trans. for JJ: They worked so hard practicing for their dance that their sweat fogged up the mirrors and they weren't able to see their own images so it was really hard to practice.
MC: You guys just love the fact that they sweat. You guys are like "I want that sweat!"
JJ: Sweat.
MC: Golden Child "It's U" the video, what is your secret to such a stable, live performance? How do you guys always slay it?
Jaehyun: Actually we practice a lot until late (into the) night and we share how to sing well while dancing. And our vocal line members have pretty creative ideas on how to sing well.
MC: Wow, your English is amazing. Next question! Who is the best to watch movies with?
Trans. for Bomin: Since he's the youngest he thinks it's fun to watch movies with the older boys.
MC: What movie have you guys seen recently? (Jaehyun did an Avengers pose with his arm up). Avengers!
BM: Jurassic Park.
JJ: Black Panther! Wakanda forever!
MC: We should have Avengers with Golden Child.
JJ: Oh! Thank you so much!
MC: Who is the best dancer of the group?
Tag: Yah uh, I think Donghyun. He's really good at dancing.
Donghyun (while looking at Tag): Thank you.
MC: Who eats the most? Who can do a mokbang?
JJ: Uh maybe I think Joochan.
MC (to Joochan): What's your favorite food?
Joochan: Um, chicken and pizza?
MC: Who's the messiest?
Trans. for Daeyeol: He says he doesn't think anyone in the group is messy.
JJ: We are so clean. Yes.
MC: You mean you do 빨래 (do laundry), you do 설거지 (wash dishes).
JJ: Yah, we do everything.
MC: I heard you guys are coming back with a new album. Can you talk a little bit about the album?
Trans. for DY: They have a new album coming out next week. So please support them when it comes out.
MC: American artists. Who do you guys like listening to?
JH: Um, Taylor Swift.
JJ: Yah, Taylor Swift.
Y: Maroon 5.
JH: One Direction. One Direction.
Y: Maroon 5.
JJ: Childish Gambino. This is America. (And he did a little dance in his seat!)
MC: Are you guys going to be coming to America a lot more now?
JH: Yah.
MC: You'll have to come back so we can do more interviews!
JJ: Uh yes, sure. If I can, I always want to go (to) America.
MC: Really?
JJ: Yah.
MC: Where else have you been in America?
JH: Wisconsin!
Y: 없습니다 (I haven't).
MC: We got to take you somewhere!
JJ: We should go.
MC: Are you guys going to go to New York City while you're here?
JH: Uh, we don't know yet.
MC: You guys work very hard, right? What do you do when you're not working?
JH: Uh, actually we watch movie a lot. And we go to cafe and drink some coffee. And, I think that's all.
JJ: And I want to go to Shake Shack Burger! It's so famous here! I want to go there.
MC: Do you guys watch TV shows?
JJ: Yah. I always watch The Simpsons.
Y: Spongebob.
JH: NFL.
MC: Did you watch the World Cup?
JH: We watched it.
MC to the audience: What do you guys think you'll say to Golden Child if you have the chance, and I'm going to ask this girl right here with the Golden Child sign. Don't cry girl, are you crying?
JJ: Don't cry! Don't cry!
MC: Who are you guys really influenced by? Korean music wise.
DY: Infinite!
MC: Would you guys ever do a duet?
Trans. for DY: They would like to do a collaboration with Infinite.
MC: Who else? Do you guys like any hip hop artists?
Y: Uh, BTS.
MC: You guys can be that big in America. You're young (Y gave her a thumbs up), 잘 생겨서  (handsome; Y laughed), and have a really good smile. What do you want to say to other people who want to be singers or who want to go after their dreams?
JJ: Dreams come true. No pain, no game.
Y: Fighting!
MC: Because Golden Child in the beginning, before your debut, you worked very hard, right?
JJ: Oh really? (His sarcasm!)
MC: In like 5 years, what do you want it to look like?
Trans. for JC: He wants to show more great things when he's on stage. He'll work really hard so that you'll keep loving and supporting Golden Child.
MC: Is there any concept that's crazy that you guys would like to try? Sexy?
DY: Yah, sexy concept. (Jangjun had to demonstrate too...!)
MC: What else would you want to try?
Y: Hip hop.
MC: Can you teach me a dance move?
JJ: Yah. (in Korean) Donghyun is Golden Child's dance machine.
MC: Donghyun, do you want to teach me a dance move?
JJ: Let's get it!
DY: Are you ready?
(Donghyun slowly danced the "It's U" chorus while Daeyeol said random encouraging things in English and counted in English. Jangjun said "be careful!" when the MC lost balance. Then the members started singing the chorus, first at normal speed, then they sang it really slowly to match the MC's slow dancing! Jangjun said "it's awesome!".)
MC: Who has the best vocal of the group?
JJ: Maybe Joochan and Y. Joochan and Y is very good vocal.
MC: Can you teach us a note?
Trans. for Y: He's going to sing one of his own parts from a song. (The song is "Lady". While I'm still upset that this song doesn't have Jaehyun or Bomin, it was SO amazing hearing Y singing it impromtu rather than as a performance. He sounds so amazing live! He sang his first few lines of the song, as well as Daeyeol's line.)
MC: Whaaa oppa!
JJ: Oppa!
Joochan: (in Korean) I'll sing "모든 날 All Day". (He sang the first few lines of the chorus!)
MC: Can you teach me a note?
(Y started singing the chorus of "Lady". It was so beautiful, and hearing him sing "you just be my love" was amazing especially when the last word gets drowned out by the others' overlapping parts.)
MC: Slower, slower, slower.
(Y sang the same part again more slowly, one line at a time. Then one word at a time.)
MC: Man I am sweating. 너 더워요? (Are you hot?)
JJ: Yah, it's too hot in here.
MC: Are American fans crazy?
Trans. for DY: They're so passionate so they're very glad to see them.
Trans. for JC: Even though it's so hot you guys are still out here.
MC: Is there anything you want to say to your American fans who came all the way here?
Tag: Yah yah. It's my pleasure and an honor to meet every single one of you guys and I hope you guys remember this moment because I will never forget this moment. Thank you so much. (You can tell he really rehearsed this to try his best to convey his feelings to us. I was so proud of him! Tag ended up saying this again at both the red carpet and the concert.)
BM: I love you Goldenness! (*Dies* hearing those words come out of Bomin was a very beautiful moment for my weak heart. And now I also know how our fandom name is supposed to be pronounced! Gold-en-ness.)
JH: Uh, we're so thankful that you came here and I love you guys so much and we will do our performance and we will put all the effort for our performance. Thank you.
(Then Tag shouted out something I didn't understand.)
MC: What song do you guys like performing the best?
DY: Do you know "Damdadi"? Yes, "Damdadi". (Then he started doing the dance move in his seat!)
MC, to a fan up front: You love them girl, are you crying?
JJ: Please don't cry!
MC: What's your name?...Gaby!
JJ: Gaby!
JB: Thank you, thank you. (And he did 2 thumbs up to her!)
MC: Gaby, this is your moment. (Gaby indicated that Donghyun's her bias.)
DH: I love you! (MC said her name is Gaby). I love you Daby! (It was cute how he said her name wrong!)
MC: Is that crazy for you guys, when your fans start crying?
Trans. for DY: He says this is the first time.
DY: Thank you so much.

At 1:22PM, I decided to head back to the hi-touch line. I slowly walked backwards toward the exit while hoping Golden Child would spot my jersey...I wanted them to know that I wasn't leaving early because I was bored,but because I had to get up close for their hi-touch! Luckily their Star Live Talk ended about a minute later, and I didn't miss much. Golden Child then left the KCON Stage, hopped into a van, and headed to Star Square where the area was fenced off and fans could crowd around to see the boys arrive there. Based on all the fancams, it seems like you could get so close to the boys during their Star Square event. I hopped back into my spot in the hi-touch line.

I'll continue my experience of Golden Child's hi-touch and the Sunday red carpet in my next posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment